Why are Nvidia’s New GPU’s so Expensive?

Image Credit: Gelver Redfield on Pexels

Rory Galvin investigates Nvidia’s shocking new product lineup

Nvidia is known to be at the top of the league when it comes to graphics cards. You can get great performance for a decent price, and there are so many options available to make a rig low-end, high-end or something in between. The company’s newest announcement is their 4000 series of graphics cards, boasting cool new features and a sizable increase in performance. The issue here is that they’re expensive to the point of being ridiculous.

The two currently announced models of the 4000 series are the RTX 4090 and two different versions of the RTX 4080. The 4090 boasts a whopping 24GB of video RAM and it scales down from there with the 4080 having a 16GB and 12GB version. Nvidia Italy confirmed the European pricing, with the cards being €1,979, €1,479 and €1,109 respectively. Once you pick your jaw off of the floor, that’s just the recommended retail price - just imagine what it would look like when scalpers get a hold of it. 

Once you pick your jaw off of the floor, that’s just the recommended retail price

What you get is supposedly twice the performance, less issues when you stream or render video and (the big selling point) DLSS 3.0. DLSS is an incredible technology; essentially it is an AI upscaler that allows you to run games at a lower resolution where the software will then make it look as though nothing was downgraded at all. It allows games to look better than ever without having to sacrifice performance - and the best part in my opinion is adding longevity to systems that can currently use it: instead of paying for upgrades, you can implement this in games that support it and you will barely notice. Version 3.0 however is locked to only these cards, so it’s almost like Nvidia are pushing consumers towards upgrading anyway, as they may have created something too pro-consumer for their liking.

This first wave of graphics cards will be launching soon, but there are more options that haven’t had their details fully released, and they are technically more budget options: the RTX 4060 and 4070. It can be confusing, I know. These cards won’t really add much beyond what the 3000 series can currently do, minus access to the shiny new DLSS 3.0, and at minimum they could cost over €400 for the lowest tier. That’s a fairly reasonable price but you are getting the worst version for it.

If you’re completely against buying a console, I would stick to the 3000 series for now: they are still quite strong, and it’s not like the AAA game market is that busy to push things graphics-wise right now. When a PlayStation 5 (if you can find one) costs half of a new graphics card, a single component for a computer, it’s hard to justify shelling out for that dream set-up at the moment. Nvidia is selling at this price point because they know they can get away with it, so vote with your wallets if you have the strength to do so (or if you have the wallet in the first place).