Valiant Students Secure Much Needed Point Against Bohemians

UCD come from behind to hold Bohs to a draw

UCD came back from a 1-0 deficit to secure their third point of the season, Promise Omochere’s early goal was equalled by a Sam Todd header in the second half. When tasked with controlling possession and unlocking resolute defences Bohemians have struggled as of late. Seemingly becoming a team for the big occasions, Bohs have been held to draws by what they would deem “smaller opposition”, for the third time this season and on the balance of play, the men from D7, were lucky to come away from the bowl with anything at all.

It was the visitors who had the brighter start in a sun soaked Dublin 4. Bohemians commanded the match in the opening stages and it wasn’t long before they translated their dominance onto the scoreboard, Promise Omochere’s third goal of the season giving his side an early lead. Omocheres strength proved decisive as UCD allowed a ball ,swung in from the left hand side, to bounce around their own 6 yard box. Students keeper Healy failed to pounce on the loose ball and Omochere was on hand to hammer home. 

UCD immediately looked to force a quick reply and were given a stark warning as to what Boh’s are capable of on the break. Omochere set Mallon away down the left with a deft overhead kick as he went to ground. Mallon however, who had made an electric start, placed his attempt to the right and wide. 

The high Bohemians line afforded UCD a golden opportunity in the opening exchanges. Brennan linked well with Duffy who set Whelan away from within his own half. Whelans effort was thwarted firstly by Talbot, then by a Horton block before Whelan blasted his third bite at the apple over the bar. Just Moments later Dawson Devoy struck the right hand upright with a low-driven shot from distance which capped an frenetic opening 15 minutes. 

Kerrigan looked dangerous all evening and is certainly putting his hand up to be selected alongside Whelan in Jim Crawford’s under-21’s side. Presumably it was Kerrigans threatening prowess that forced Keith Long to call upon the more experienced Wilson to replace Sam Packham. Kerrigan had jinked inside Packham with some tricky footwork around the half hour mark and then effortlessly accelerated past Ciaran Kelly. However, James Talbot was on hand to quickly close down Kerrigan’s attempted cross.

As the light faded, the second half began. Stephen Mallon went the closest for Bohemians in the second-half. Mallon met a Kris Twardek cross at the back post. His header was denied by the retreating Sam Todd, who managed to head the ball over his own bar, just half a yard from the whitewash.

In the 67th minute it was once again Todd's head, which was the student's saving grace. UCD’s first corner of the second half was swung in by Liam Kerrigan, the unmarked Sam Todd produced a textbook header, angled into the ground to find the top corner. Talbot stood rooted to his spot.

Arguably, UCD looked the side more likely to add to their tally from that point onwards. A number of long range efforts peppered the Boh’s goal. As Bohemians went in search of a late winner UCD broke. Kerrigan entered a desperate battle with Flores for possession on  the halfway line, the ball popped free and Whelan picked up the pieces. Whelan then carried the ball into the box before he cut inside only to be denied by a desperate fingertips save.

At the other end, Bohemians knocked on UCD’s door. An Omechere shot was blazed over the bar and Todd intercepted a pass meant for Twardek, which would have led to an almost certain goal. 

In the dying embers of the tie a Jordan Flores free kick met the head of Omochere. Despite the acres of space in which he found himself Promise failed to hit the target. UCD showed maturity beyond this young side's years to see out the closing stages, the referees full time whistle met with a chorus of boos from the Bohemians faithful who had travelled in their numbers.

UCD:

Lorcan Healy; Evan Osam, Sam Todd, Eric Yoro, Alex Dunne; Jack Keaney, Sean Brennan( Adam Verdon 69’), Donal Higgins (Evan Caffrey 69’), Dylan Duffy (Adam Lennon 84’); Liam Kerrigan, Colm Whelan. 

Manager: Andy Meyler.

Man Of The Match: Sam Todd.

Bohemians: 

James Talbot; Max Murphy, Grant Horton, Ciaran Kelly, Sam Packham (Wilson 45’); Dawson Devoy (Jordan Doherty 73’), Jordan Flores, Ali Coote (Liam Burt 61’); Stephen Mallon (Ryan Cassidy 77’), Promise Omochere, Kris Twardek.

Manager: Keith Long 

Referee: Sean Grant:

Attendance: 1,708.