UCDSU announce protest over “core UCD student issues”, calls upon University Management Team

UCD Students’ Union have announced that they intend to hold a protest next Monday, February 14th, outside O’Reilly Hall in objection to their handling of key student issues.

UCD Students’ Union’s tagline for the protest “It’s not me, it’s UCD” asks the University Management Team (UMT) to “reciprocate the love that students feel for their university by addressing student concerns that have consistently been raised over the last number of years.” 

The UMT is a governing body within the university responsible for the overall strategic maintenance and development of UCD’s resources - including “human, financial, capital and non-capital” - effectively. They also aim to “enhance the performance and reputation of the University.”

UCDSU are protesting four key issues:

In a statement released by the Union, they argue that “consecutive decisions have been taken across a number of key areas that have been significantly out of kilter with the realities facing students,” They expressed concern over the continual commercialisation of the University, saying that it poses an “existential risk to the student experience.” 

Among the four core issues being protested, the issue with accommodation has been a year long project for the Union, saying in a statement that they believe “current Residential Masterplans must be scrapped and replaced to take account of the need for accommodation as an equality, diversity and inclusion issue.”

The issue of student supports has also been at the forefront of discourse, with the Union reinforcing the integral role the support plays for UCD students, noting the staff who keeping the services operational “management needs to support the staff members who work tirelessly to assist students.” The statement also referred to support access issues “lengthy waiting times for essential services such as counselling reflect a University not willing to invest in basic student welfare requirements.” 

UCDSU are asking that students and staff show support by attending to demand “urgent action.”