UCD wins big at inaugural Data Science Awards

UCD-based winners CeADAR (centre) alongside other winners.TWO UCD-based companies, CeADAR, the Centre for Applied Data Analytics Research, and Kinesis Health Technologies, won awards at the inaugural Data Science Awards held last month at the Aviva Stadium in Dublin.CeADAR won the “Team of the Year for Academic Research” Award, while Kinesis Health Technologies won “Best Start-up of the Year”. Both companies are headquartered at NexusUCD, the Industry Partnership Centre at UCD.CeADAR is led by UCD, and specialises in accelerated development and deployment of technologies such as data management, predictive analytics, machine learning, real time analytics and visualisation. Kinesis Health Technologies is a health technology start-up and a UCD spin-out. It was co-founded by Dr. Barry Greene, Seamus Small, and Bill Bollengier. The company has invented and patented a medical device which assesses the risk of falls in older adults.Two other companies headquartered in UCD were shortlisted for the Start-up of the Year category: Connectors Marketplace, an advanced data analytics start-up founded by Kevin Neary, and VIDiRO, a video analytics start-up specialising in advertising technologies, co-founded by Simon Factor and Dr Kevin Magee.The Data Science Awards were established this year to bring attention to data science initiatives taking place across Ireland, and to bring publicity to individuals and companies involved in this rapidly-growing area.Over 200 industry leaders and specialists were present for the event, which was held in the Aviva Stadium in Dublin this September. Data science is becoming an increasingly important area as the business world becomes ever more digital.Despite recent political controversy regarding the technology sector in this country, the success of the Data Science Awards puts Ireland in a good place for becoming the European data science hub. It appears that UCD will be at the forefront of this effort.