UCD SU announce referendum to rejoin USI

UCD Students' Union this evening announced that a referendum will take place on rejoining the Union of Students in Ireland (USI). The referendum will take place on 8th and 9th of March, the same day as the elections for the sabbatical officer positions.The move comes after UCDSU left USI in 2013 following a referendum which saw 64.5 per cent of students voting in favour of leaving the national union, as opposed to 35.5 per cent in favour of staying.The referendum will propose the following:“That UCDSU shall affiliate to the Union of Students in Ireland (USI) subject to an increase in the Student Centre Levy of €5 per full-time student and €2.50 per part-time being implemented as a precondition to such affiliation.”If the referendum is carried, it will mean an additional cost of €5 for a full-time student in their fees and €2.50 for part-time students to cover membership fees. In 2013, one of the reasons cited for UCDSU leaving the Union was the cost of membership.The development is a last-minute one for the Students' Union, with the announcement coming just two weeks before the referendum is due to take place. The posting this evening by the SU advised students that intended to campaign for a 'Yes' or 'No' vote to get in touch with the returning officer "as a matter of urgency" to register their interest. The inclusion of a referendum was not mentioned at SU Council yesterday evening.