UCD Sports Round-up: Olympic Handball Club begin season with spirited showing against Astra alumni

Meanwhile, the Mountaineering Club have just returned from their Freshers Trip to the Mourne Mountains

The UCD Olympic Handball Club began preparations for the new season with a spirited showing Astra this weekend – with both female and male sides putting in credible performances.

The UCD men’s side fought well against Astra, with the score locked at 13-13 at the half-time break.

However, despite the men’s side turning in one of their best performances in a few years, they were eventually seen off by a score of 25-21 by the full-time whistle.

Next week sees the men’s side take on the highly-rated Dublin City Handball side at DCU having impressed on Saturday afternoon.

Elsewhere, the club’s female side were defeated by Astra Wings, with the scoreline ending 38-15 to the hosts – despite some encouraging performances from the Belfield side.

Meanwhile, the Mountaineering Club have just returned from their Freshers Trip to the Mourne Mountains.

A 23km hike saw the club reach seven peaks in the Mournes, with many climbing for the first time after 561 members joined forces with the club at the start of term.  

Up next for the Mountaineering Club is the Fresher’s Bouldering Competition on Thursday 17th of October, with many social events upcoming. Keep an eye on their social media channels for more information.

In addition, UCD’s Fencing Club took part in South of Ireland Open on the 21st-22nd September in Cork.

They received four medals, with Andrea Petrignani earning a gold medal in the men’s foil. Phoebe Ireland secured a bronze medal in the Women’s Saber with both Tom O’Brien and Noah Scott also earning a bronze medal in the Men’s Épée.

The trampoline club also began their new campaign with a strong turnout at their first training session of the year.  

Club founder Andrew Cahill made an appearance at the session. The club also held their first in-house competition of the season on September 28th for returning members.

Monies were raised in aid of Rainbow Railroad, a charity dedicated to helping the LGBTQ+ community in nations where they are persecuted.