UCD presidential search committee announces October deadline

UCD’s presidential search committee have announced a deadline of 12 O’clock midday on the 21st of October 2022, by which all prospective candidates for the position must have applied.

The announcement was made this evening, and signals the ending of the first step in the process of appointing a new president for the University.

The appointment of UCD’s next president has been broken down into two distinct phases, the search and selection phases. Each phase is monitored by a specific committee, consisting of student and academic representatives, as well as external voices. The search committee at present is comprised of two external and two internal members of the governing authority, one student representative, two members of the academic council, and the CEOs of Enterprise Ireland, and Threshold, the national housing charity.

The search committee is responsible for the long-listing of potential candidates, a process scheduled for completion in November. Subsequently, candidates will be interviewed by leading international executive appointment agency Perrett Laver, who will compile a shortlist. The selection committee will then be appointed to interview all shortlisted candidates, and oversee psychometric assessments, which are due to take place in January and February 2023. 

The next president of UCD is scheduled to be in office by the beginning of the 2023/24 academic year.

In a survey conducted by UCD’s governing authority, aimed at identifying the key priorities the University’s next president should focus on, the student experience was found to be the most important. Following this, staff welfare and the provision of suitable accommodation for students were ranked as the most pressing concerns that the new president should focus on.

When questioned as to the most desirable skills and characteristics that the new president should possess, the 1568 staff, alumni and students who were queried ranked soft skills such as empathy and understanding to be of greater importance than financial dexterity.

Complementing these findings, it was found that the pursuit of excellence, a commitment to the University as a public institution, advocacy for student supports, and a dedication to diversity and inclusions, are all highly-sought after attributes, that the new president should possess.

The new president of UCD is expected to serve a 10-year term of office, and will take up residence in the University Lodge.