UCD graduates and staff collaborate on 1916 play

Eight writers, all of whom are UCD graduates and staff, have collaborated to write a series of monologues in a new play for the 1916 centenary, entitled Signatories.The monologues for the play are written by Emma O’Donoghue, Thomas Kilroy, Hugo Hamilton, Rachel Fehily, Éilís Ní Dhuibhne, Marina Carr, Joseph O’Connor and Frank McGuinness.Eilis O’Brien, UCD’s Director of Communications, told The Irish Times that the idea arose “over a cup of tea” with Frank McGuinness, who is one of Ireland’s most renowned living playwrights, as well being professor of creative writing at UCD.Each writer has written a monologue based on one person from 1916, with the show taking place over three nights at Kilmainham Gaol from 22nd-24th April. The performance will be directed by Patrick Mason, and will begin at dusk and finish in candlelight. Kilmainham Gaol is a historic location for the performance to take place, as the location where the leaders of the 1916 Rising were imprisoned and executed.Signatories is written by some of UCD’s most distinguished writers and staff. Emma O’Donoghue is the author of Room, the film adaptation of which received a number of Academy Award nominations, as well as a win for Best Actress at the 2016 awards. Renowned playwrights Marina Carr and Hugo Hamilton are also UCD graduates, and have received critical acclaim both in and outside of Ireland.The eight writers have written a 10 minute monologue each for the performance. The monologues will serve as creative explorations of some of those involved in 1916, including some of the lesser known leaders, such as nurse Elizabeth O’Farrell, who delivered the surrender from the rebels during the Rising.Following its three night run at Kilmainham Gaol, the play will be performed at the Pavilion Theatre in Dun Laoghaire (26th-27th April), in the Civic in Tallaght (3rd May-4th) and in the National Concert Hall on May 5th.