UCD confirmed among the top 13% of universities in the world

Image Credit: Leandro Neumann Ciuffo via Wikimedia Commons

The newest global university rankings have been published - and UCD maintains its spot in the top 13%, especially thanks to its international outreach.

According to the newest global rankings, UCD retains its spot in the top 13% of universities worldwide. QS and Times Higher Education (THE) revealed their rankings earlier this summer, and according to their criteria, UCD ranks in the top 250 in the world. Its international outreach to students, staff, and researchers is cited as the reason for these ratings. 

This year, QS ranked UCD #171 in the world out of the 1503 institutions ranked, a jump of ten positions compared to the previous year. This result maintains the university in QS’ Top 200, which has been a constant for over a decade. Impacting this result was the newest criteria QS uses to rank institutions - sustainability. This new criteria sees QS evaluating how sustainable universities are, both from a research perspective and regarding their environmental impact. UCD scored 70.1 on Sustainability, thus being recognised for its preoccupation with the environment and the measures undertaken to ensure the campus is environmentally friendly, but also the research conducted into climate change within the University. The International Faculty Ratio is the criteria in which UCD scored highest according to QS (98.8), revealing the university's appeal for international staff and, in turn, benefiting the quality of collaborative research.

UCD scored 70.1 on Sustainability, thus being recognised for its preoccupation for the environment and the measures undertaken to ensure the campus is environmentally-friendly, but also the research conducted into climate change within the University.

If UCD ranks #171 overall according to QS, much is due to its high placement on the Graduate Employability Ranking. Indeed, in this ranking, UCD is #87 and first in Ireland. This placement is a massive achievement for the university as it celebrates the quality of the education offered, which guarantees graduates the necessary skills to enter the workplace. 

UCD ranks slightly lower in the Times Higher Education ranking, placing between the 201st and 250th institutions globally. The International Outlook criteria is where UCD scores highest (94.2), thus confirming the international appeal also identified by QS. Citations are the second highest score on UCD’s THE Ranking, which speaks to the quality of the research produced by UCD staff and researchers. 

The International Outlook criteria is where UCD scores highest (94.2), thus confirming the international appeal also identified by QS.

In 2019, THE launched the Impact Ranking, which ranks 1591 universities worldwide against the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) - evaluating, amongst others, gender equality, climate actions, and good health and wellbeing. In this list, UCD ranks amongst the top 101st and 200th institutions worldwide, with a total score ranging between 82.2 and 88.2 across all indicators. Amongst these indicators, UCD scores 96.4 for Industry, Innovation, and Infrastructure, which assesses the promotion of sustainable industrialisation within the institution; this particular score echoes QS’ Sustainability criteria, thus confirming UCD’s commitment to being an environmentally friendly institution. UCD also ranks high regarding fostering partnerships to achieve the SDGs, thus merging its international outlook with its sustainable goals.

These results are a source of pride for all UCD community members. Although several areas need improvement, UCD remains an institution with an international reputation and a global leader in sustainability

These rankings are certainly not an endpoint for UCD, as there are several criteria where UCD could score higher. Nevertheless, these results are a source of pride for all UCD community members. Although several areas need improvement, UCD remains an institution with an international reputation and a global leader in sustainability.