UCD AFC unable to secure a pivotal win on the road away to Harps as relegation looms

UCD, who have been blighted by injuries and a string of departures throughout the season – lie six points behind Finn Harps with just three games to play.

Photo Credit: Gerry Scully / UCD AFC – UCD shot-stopper Conor Kearns

Despite a valiant effort from UCD ‘keeper Conor Kearns, Maciej Tarnogrodzki’s Students have it all to do if they are to retain their place in the League of Ireland Premier Division ahead of the 2020 campaign.

The Sky Blues grew into the game after a slow start, with Yoyo Mahdy and Jack Keaney both testing Harps keeper and former UCD student Mark McGinley in the second half.

However, it was the efforts of the highly-rated Kearns that will take many of the headlines with his fine display securing a point for the top-flights basement battlers.

The Students were perhaps fortunate not to have been penalised for Evan Farrell’s coming together with Raffaele Cretaro with a passionate home crowd calling for a penalty – but the referee was unmoved.

However, the hosts were unable to break the deadlock – with the result suiting neither side who both look destined to remain in 9th and 10th respectively.

UCD face Cork City next week at Turners Cross with a 7.45pm kick-off on Leeside where they could see their fate sealed if they fail to better Finn Harps result versus Shamrock Rovers at Tallaght Stadium.