Tori Amos - Album Review

Tori Amos, never one to shy away from complex and unorthodox musical issues, hasrecorded a cover of her own material. The album Gold Dust spans the breadth of hertwo-decade career in pop music, re-interpreted with more orchestral arrangements. Thesong ‘Flavor’ is stripped of the mechanised beats and electronic adornments that featured onthe original, instead instilled with flowing strings to accompany Amos’s piano work.This is a record built on melody; indeed there are no drums at all, save some sparse easternpercussion on ‘Star of Wonder’. The listener glides on Amos’ melodies, feeling almostweightless, and the strings give the songs a cinematic sweep. These real strings are arefreshing change from the mass-produced synthesised noises that our ears are so used tobeing subjected to.The lack of percussion also has a downside however, in that without any changing drum-rhythms the songs do start to sound quite similar to each other. With no percussion to marka division songs slip and fade, with such continuity that is hard to differentiate them. Piano,strings and vocals can only take you so far, though the album is still a thing of beauty sometracks lose more than they gain from the new format.In a Nutshell: If you want a break from pulsing house beats, this is a lovely piano-pop albumto spend an hour with. By Edward Kearns