1. ‘I Gotta Feeling’ – The Black Eyed Peas: Lyrically, this song details what summer is all about – going out, with the pop and dance beat acting as the perfect summer hype song. The song has been deemed 2009’s biggest hit, hitting its peak sales in the summer, making this song a must have in your playlist this summer.
2. ‘Summer of 69’ - Bryan Adams: The oldest song on our list, this 1985 tune encompasses all that you need to jam out all summer long. The pop track has withstood the test of time due to its relatability, focusing on how summers are the best days of your lives. This old school classic is a quintessential summer song.
3.‘Cheerleader (Felix Jaehn Remix)’ - Omi: The original may lack some lustre, but the remix by Felix Jaehn has solidified it as a summer anthem for the ages. The track blends pop, reggae, and EDM influences together seamlessly, creating an upbeat tune you can’t help but sing along to.
4. ‘Despacito (Remix)’ - Luis Fonsi & Daddy Yankee ft. Justin Bieber: Adding Justin Bieber to any song tends to make it chart reasonably well, but mix his vocals with the Latin mix of Luis Fonsi and Daddy Yankee and you have perhaps the greatest summer song of all time. This track has everyone mumbling along to Spanish words they don’t understand all summer long
5. ‘We Found Love’ - Rihanna ft. Calvin Harris: Calvin Harris could have appeared 10 times on this list, as it seems every song he produces is the perfect summer song. However, it is his collaboration with Rihanna that has stood the test of time above any other.
6. ‘Call Me Maybe’ - Carly Rae Jepsen: Let me transport you back to the summer of 2012, were you couldn’t go anywhere without hearing the opening chords of this mega hit. This bubble-gum pop tune took the world by storm, with numerous parody videos popping up online.
7. ‘I Took A Pill In Ibiza (Seeb Remix)’ - Mike Posner: This controversial song focusing on the effects of drug use, doesn’t exactly scream summer hit. However, the lyrics put alongside the popular dance-beat saw this become a summer classic.
8. ‘Wake Me Up’ - Avicii: The song that launched Avicii to worldwide stardom in 2013, is one of the greatest dance tracks of all time. The song even reached viral video status as Gaeilge, when Coláiste Lurgan and Seo Linn teamed up for their take on this classic summer song. A true legend.
9. ‘Lean On’ - Major Lazer & DJ Snake ft. MO: This 2015 classic anthem has become synonymous with the summer sun. Played at gaff parties, poolside or just in the car, when the sun is shining the tornado of sounds in this tune can be heard far and wide.
10.‘Shotgun' - George Ezra: Deemed the song of the summer of 2018 by The Guardian, the most recent entry on the list is the perfect song to add to your summer playlist. George Ezra had everyone singing about a ‘homegrown alligator’ last summer, and with a Malahide concert set for July, it’ll be no different this season.