The University Observer sweeps thirteen nominations and four awards at the 2024 SMEDIAs

Image Credit: David Kent

At the annual Student Media Awards, The University Observer took home four awards - including Editor of the Year

The annual National Student Media Awards (SMEDIAs) were held on Wednesday, 10th April at Mansion House on Dawson Street. As the ceremony wrapped up and the dust settled, The University Observer took home four awards. Out of the thirty-eight categories, the University Observer received a total of thirteen nominations, including Newspaper of the Year, in what was one of the most prolific years for student journalism. 

Thomas Walsh was awarded the SFI Award for Journalism related for Science and Technology for his article on climate and energy solutions, whilst Agony Aunt Connie Henry (Sasha Shame) won Satirical Writer of the Year. Games Editor Joshua McCormack was awarded the European Commission Award for Journalism related to European Affairs with his piece on Palestinian State Recognition. Lastly, Editor-in-Chief Tessa Ndjonkou was named Editor of the Year.

The University Observer was also nominated for Newspaper of the Year, but eventually lost to Limerick Voice. 

Alongside being a celebration, this year’s SMEDIAs featured an emotional tribute to the late Joe Drennan, former Editor-in-Chief of Limerick Voice, who passed away in a fatal hit-and-run in October 2023. To honour his memory, it was announced that from next year, the RSA Award for Journalism Relating to Road Safety will be renamed “Joe Drennan Award for Journalism Relating to Road Safety”.