Spotlighting Organisations Using Food to Make a Difference

Image Credit: Lucy Warmington

As yet another hard January comes around, Lucy Warmington looks at some organisations providing easy access to food.

January is arguably amongst the harshest months of the year from a financial perspective, leaving many people with restricted access to basic needs, such as food. Nevertheless, there are several organisations whose primary objective is facilitating food accessibility this January through donations and volunteering - and here is this issue’s selection.    

There are several organisations whose primary objective is facilitating food accessibility this January through donations and volunteering - and here is this issue’s selection.

Little Flower Penny Dinners 

Found at 11 Meath Street, Dublin 8, Little Flower Penny Dinners has been providing food to those in need since 1912. They still serve warm meals at 12pm every Weekday, offering a welcoming environment to everyone. They rely on donations and volunteers to keep them running. 

Muslim Sisters of Éire 

One of the many support services provided by the volunteer-led Muslim Sisters of Éire organisation is the weekly provision of at least 350 hot meals outside the GPO on O’Connell Street every Friday evening. With increasing demand, they are continually in need of donations and volunteers to maintain their essential service. 

The Lighthouse Café

Located on Pearse Street and recognizable by its iconic yellow door, The Lighthouse Cafe is a Dublin Christian Mission and Tiglin project which provides hot meals five days a week for the homeless and hungry. They accept food donations, so if you work in hospitality, ask your workplace to get in touch to redirect any leftover food there to help make a tangible difference this January. 

Too Good To Go 
Originally intended as an innovative app to reduce food waste, Too Good To Go is also a way to get fresh food at a significantly reduced price. Any food businesses that have unsold food at the end of the day can put it on the Too Good To Go app for collection by any user. This service is suitable for personal use, and workplaces who fit the criteria can register and efficiently reduce their food waste.