Society News: FilmSoc, Litsoc, Dramsoc, DanceSoc, DrawSoc

FilmSocUCD FilmSoc are running their annual film festival this week from 4th-8th April, with over 30 events taking place on campus during the week-long event. The week will see Game of Thrones star Aidan Gillen visiting campus for a special screening, as well as numerous other guests from around the world involved in filmmaking. Filmmaking workshops relating to acting, editing, and scriptwriting will be held, as well as pizza events, a UCD productions screening and a fun day. Further details will follow through FilmSoc’s Facebook page and via email. UCDSVP and LitSocUCD Saint Vincent de Paul Society (UCDSVP) and UCD LitSoc are organising an Addiction Awareness Spoken and Written Word Showcase on Thursday April 4th to encourage an open, safe discussion about addiction. There will be an open mic at the event with sign-ups on the night. LitSoc is also asking people to submit written work and artistic pieces for a visual display. Pieces may be original or the creation of your favourite artist or writer (as long as you don’t take credit) and must deal with the theme of addiction in some way. Send your work to englishliterarysociety@ucd.ie along with the name of whoever created the piece and how you would like to be credited (entries can be anonymous) by Friday April 1st. DramsocUCD Dramsoc won four awards at last weeks’ Irish Student Drama Association (ISDA) festival, which took place in Galway. These include Best Director (Rosa Bowden), Best Actress (Ali Dempsey McMahon), Best Sound (Mark McCarthy) and the judges’ discretionary award for Best Ensemble (cast of Punk Rock!). UCD Dramsoc was also nominated for Best Original Script, Best Actor, Best Set Design, Best Supporting Actress, Best Supporting Actor, Best Lighting Design and Best Overall Production. DanceSocUCD DanceSoc won several awards at this year’s All Ireland Intervarsity Dance competition, which took place in Trinity College. UCD Fusion Crew won first place in the Jazz category with a routine choreographed by Bridget Riley, while UCD Hip Hop Crew were awarded third place in the Hip Hop Category. Katie Wong and Patrick Smith also received Special Performance Awards, making UCD the only university to receive two performance awards. DrawSocDrawSoc's third annual student art exhibition will be taking place from 11-15 April 2016, with the launch night on Tuesday the 12th of April. The theme this year is "Limit[less]", and the exhibition will feature works from a range of students, in a wide range of mediums. The works will be on display in the foyer of the Student Centre, and everyone is encouraged to come along and explore the show. For more information, see UCD DrawSoc’s Facebook page.