Sabbatical Officer Nominees: Who’s Who?

Ahead of the interviews and hustings, Chloe Maguire Sedgwick gives you the quick lowdown on the candidates.

Katie Ascough

A third year science student. She has trained with the UCD Trampoline and Gymnastics Club. She is an aspiring journalist who has written for national newspapers and presented radio shows. She is a prominent pro-life campaigner and has appeared on “Claire Byrne Live” and “BBC World News”.
Rónán Bartley

A third year English and drama student. He won the Hotpress literary award for 2016.
Rebecca Hart

A third year nursing student. She is currently the Health Sciences officer of UCDSU and a student ambassador for UCD. She is also a musician.
Philip Weldon

A second year business student. He is the current auditor of the LGBTQ+ society. Previously he has campaigned for marriage equality.

Campaign & Communications Officer
Wiktoria Banach

A third year veterinary nursing student. She is currently the Gender Equality campaign co-ordinator.
Zak Brophy
A second year history, economics and politics student. He was previously a Class Rep, and a member of the UCD ENTS Crew.

Cóilín Garvey

A second year student of German and Politics. He is a Student Brand Manager at Red Bull (UCD). He is also the Public Relations Officer for the German society.
Barry Murphy

An agriculture student.

Education Officer
Joshua Gorman Climax

A second year engineering student. He is currently the Engineering Stage 2 Rep.
Robert Sweeney

An economics and politics student. He is currently the auditor of the Economics society. He was previously vice auditor of the Arts society. He has also been a student ambassador in UCD.

Welfare Officer

Eoghan Mac Domhnaill

A third year science student. He is currently serving as Oifigeach na Gaeilge to the SU. He has previously been the vice auditor of an Cumann Gaelach, treasurer of UCD Sinn Féin Society and the Residences Coordinator.

Graduate Officer

Niall Torris

A 2nd year psychology H.Dip student. He is currently the Mature Students campaign co-ordinator.

For more in-depth information and interviews with each candidate, check out the Observer Election Special on the 28th of February.