What flavours spring to mind when you think of Halloween or Autumn? For me, it’s
pumpkin and ginger. The two pair together incredibly well and bring to mind Starbucks’
special latte from a couple of years ago. And of course, if you can make that pairing
alcoholic, then it must be better still. In this guide, I’ll teach you how to make a refreshingly simple Pumpkin Spiced Daiquiri to show off to your housemates at your next pre-drinks. If you’ve never tried pumpkin by itself (you should, it’s rather tasty), then this cocktail with pumpkin as a primary ingredient, will allow you to discover its flavour favourably.
Warning: Please Drink Responsibly, But Do Enjoy.
50ml Captain Morgan’s Spiced Rum (or equivalent high-quality Spiced Rum)
6-8 Pumpkin Slices
1/2 of a Fresh Lime
20ml Homemade Ginger Syrup (Ginger Root, Brown Sugar, Water)
Pinch of Cinnamon
1. To make the ginger syrup, firstly peel the ginger root and chop it into small
2. Boil a saucepan half filled with water and brown sugar over medium-high heat,
stirring constantly until the sugar is completely dissolved.
3. Add the ginger rounds and bring the heat down to let the syrup simmer.
4. Remove the saucepan from the heat and allow to settle for 30-45 minutes.
5. Fine strain the syrup to remove any ginger sediment and leave it to cool
overnight in a container.
6. In a blender: add Crushed Ice (Regular ice will suffice but may cause damage to
the blender), 50ml of Spiced Rum, 6-8 Pumpkin Slices peeled and pitted, the
freshly squeezed juice of half a Lime and 20ml of your pre-made Ginger Syrup.
7. Blend all of these ingredients together until you achieve a smoothie like
consistency, adding crushed ice as necessary.
8. Pour the mixture into an appropriate glass. A Hurricane glass is traditional, but in
case of its absence, you can use a wine glass of any other fancy glass you may
9. Dollop a layer of whipped cream on top and add a pinch of cinnamon.
10. For garnish, use a cube of pumpkin and a wedge of lime on the rim of your glass.