Write with us.

Join UCD's award-winning student newspaper.

Join the Team

Are you interested in getting involved in the world of student journalism? The University Observer is seeking section editors for Volume XXV.

To apply, please contact editor@universityobserver.ie with a short cover letter outlining reasons for applying and relevant experience and what you hope to do with the role, as well as a minimum of two relevant writing samples (links to online content are acceptable) from the University Observer or other publications.

The subject line of your email should read ‘Application for the position of’ followed by the title of the position you are applying for. If you wish to apply for more than one section editor position, please state which positions you are applying for in the subject line of your email. Candidates who are applying for more than one position must also explain why they are applying for each position separately in their cover letter and provide a minimum of two relevant writing samples for each position. The number of writing samples submitted may not exceed a total of five. Prior involvement with the University Observer is preferred, but not essential. You must be a registered student of University College Dublin to apply.

In your application, please provide your name, course and year of study. For details of open positions, please see below.

Operational

Events Officer

The Events Officer will be responsible for ensuring all events run smoothly and, in particular, the planning and coordinating of the University Observer‘s 25th Volume Anniversary Event, weekly coffee mornings, panel discussions and guest speakers.

The Events Officer will provide a wide range of support to the Editor, Deputy Editor and Design Editor in relation to event management and preparation. The key tasks associated with this role will be to provide effective administration support to the team, including general office management, dealing with incoming and outgoing correspondence, diary, expenditure and travel arrangements, and liaising with students, UO alumni and a range of internal and external stakeholders.

Broadsheet/Online

News Online

The online News Editor will be responsible for working with the two broadsheet news editors in order to keep the website current with the latest campus news. They will both handle the print stories on the website, as well as assigning extra articles written specifically for online. They will be responsible for distributing content and editing it to appear on the website. The ideal candidates will have previous writing or editing experience for a student publication and a good knowledge of the various writing styles used in the University Observer, preferably in the area of news.

Comment Online

The online Comment Editor will be responsible for working with Comment and Features editors to ensure that the website is kept updated with articles from print, as well as assigning extra articles written specifically for online. They will be responsible for distributing content and editing it to appear on the website. The ideal candidates will have previous writing or editing experience for a student publication and a good knowledge of the various writing styles used in the University Observer.

Features Online

The online Features Editor will be responsible for working with the Features editor to ensure that the website is kept updated with articles from print, as well as assigning extra articles written specifically for online. They will be responsible for distributing content and editing it to appear on the website. The ideal candidates will have previous writing or editing experience for a student publication and a good knowledge of the various writing styles used in the University Observer. The Editor will be responsible for producing 3 full length features articles every two weeks.

OTwo

Travel Editor

The Travel Editor is responsible for the one-page section in our arts and culture magazine, Otwo and will be tasked with producing regular content on travel. The preferred candidate will have a creative disposition, wanderlust and motivation to encourage others to write.

Photography, Video, Art & Design

Have an idea for a photo, video or illustrative project you’d like to create? Sign up here to join our Art & Design Team. See below for open positions.

Deputy Chief of Illustrations

The Deputy Chief of Illustrations will work with the Chief of Illustrations and the Design Editor to generate high-quality illustrational content for print and online publication. The ideal candidate will have a demonstrable interest in and ability to produce illustrational content. Please send a selection of your photos along with a cover letter to editor@universityobserver.ie.

Deputy Videographer

The Deputy Videographer will work with the Chief Videographer to produce regular short, news or features-style video content for the University Observer’s website and social media platforms. The candidate will be expected to cover events such as student rallies or protests, SU elections and other notable events throughout the year, including societies’ events and Freshers’ Week. This video content may also cover stories relating to individual sections of the University Observer and OTwo including, among others, Arts & Literature, Games, News, Features, Sport, Science and Fashion.

Columns

Columnists are responsible for producing articles offering commentary and opinion and will be required to produce one column a week on anything they like. The preferred candidate will have a creative mind and an ability to adhere to deadlines as well as having previous writing experience. Columns may be published under a pseudonym or a series title and may be delivered in a range of different individual styles.

Write with us.

Want to get involved as a contributing writer? Click here to sign up for regular opportunities.

Questions?

If you have any questions regarding any aspect of the application process, please feel free to email: editor@universityobserver.ie or message our Facebook page. Best of Luck!