Belfield FM's broadcasting pod in the Sports & Fitness Centre.

Recorded episodes of Keepin’ it Country have been removed from Belfield FM’s online mixcloud account following controversial comments made by this semester’s hosts, The University Observer has learned.

Belfield FM have stated that the show was also removed from the semester one broadcasting timetable.

The student-run show has come under fire recently following an article published in the College Tribune which evidenced the show’s hosts reading aloud crude user-submitted messages about women and in relation to the sexual experiences of named students.

The article stated that the hosts “do not hesitate to refer to women as ‘heifers’ or as ‘fit for the slaughter’”. One female student was referred to as a “pussy pocket”.

In email correspondence to The University Observer, Station Manager Aisling Grennan stated that a “full review” of the 3-person radio show had been conducted by Belfield FM Management following the publication of the article.

Management of the student-run station found that the comments made were “in breach of the Belfield FM Membership Agreement” and that Management then acted in line with the society’s “disciplinary policies”.

A report by the station’s Management has been submitted to the Societies Council.

Grennan stated that the show was then removed from the semester one timetable and would be entitled to re-apply at the beginning of next semester, noting, however that the matter was “still under review”.

Belfield FM requires students to submit an application to host a show at the start of every semester. Keepin’ it Country has run on Belfield FM every semester for the past 4 years.

The radio show is normally hosted weekly on Wednesdays from 7pm-8pm and broadcast live online from Belfield FM’s yellow pod in the student centre. Focusing predominantly on agricultural news and rural affairs, the show habitually concludes with a segment during which the hosts read out and discuss messages submitted to the show by listeners over a medley of dance music.

The University Observer contacted the Societies Council for comment, but they have not responded at the time of publication.