Jack White: Acoustic Recordings 1998-2016 - Album Review

THERE’S no doubt that Jack White is a prolific musician. Between The White Stripes, The Raconteurs, The Dead Weather and his solo projects, White has released 13 albums in the past 17 years. This collection of acoustic recordings spans White’s career thus far, reminding listeners of how well he works even when stripped back.The album avoids just sticking to the singles previously released by White’s many projects, which include ‘Apple Blossom’, previously released on 2000’s De Stijl and ‘White Moon’, previously released on 2005’s Get Behind Me Satan. The songs still hold up as classics of the early 2000s indie scene over 10 years later, cementing the talent of White’s songwriting.The presence of previously unreleased material helps to elevate the album beyond that of the standard ‘best of’ collection. Including a rough cut of ‘Just One Drink’, which harkens back to White’s blues roots more so than the version that featured on 2014’s Lazaretto. White even brings back ‘Love is the Truth’, which previously, and controversially, featured in an ad for Coca-Cola. The track, which was largely forgotten, works well in its acoustic version on this album.
The real album highlight is the first new White Stripes track in nearly ten years, ‘City Lights’.
The real album highlight is the first new White Stripes track in nearly ten years, ‘City Lights’. Recorded during the sessions for The White Stripes’ Get Behind Me Satan, the track is a gentle, stripped back White Stripes number that would have slotted beautifully into the album it was intended for. As it is, ‘City Lights’ proves to be a mid-album treat on this 26- track collection.In A Nutshell: A strong introduction to Jack White’s extensive body of work for new listeners, and essential listening for those who are already a fan.