Eithne Dodd speaks to some of UCD’s upcoming graduates about their time in UCD and their future plans.

Benjamin Mangan: Mechanical Engineering

What degree are you studying?

Bachelor in mechanical engineering

Did you find your degree stimulating?

Yes. Especially in 3rd and 4th year. 1st year was really generic and not specific to engineering at all

How would you describe your experience of studying your degree in UCD?

Often interesting, but usually it is just exam focused. Most of our labs we did not get to carry out any of the experiments ourselves. More and more students are doing engineering so classes are getting bigger without an increase in TAs or other support. As a result some of the labs and/or tutorials that previous years got were not provided for us as our class was too big.

Do you have a job lined up for after graduation?

No, nothing at the moment

What is your ideal career?

Something based in Ireland, preferably Dublin or Wicklow, That allows me to use the skills I have learnt through my engineering degree.

How helpful do you think your degree will be in getting a job like that?

It’s helpful in getting an interview but not of much more use than that!

Rory Sullivan: Mathematics

What degree are you studying?

I’m studying mathematics (through science).

Did you find your degree stimulating?

Yes, absolutely! I’ve always found my course very interesting, I particularly enjoy the problem solving aspect of it. We are constantly challenged to think in new ways and solve new problems which I personally find very interesting and engaging.  I think my favourite aspect of the course has been my final year project. It has been our first real taste of proper academic research and I have found it absolutely enthralling!

I would say my time at UCD has been highly enjoyable. I think there is a great atmosphere around the campus, there’s always loads going on and so many opportunities to try different things. One highlight for me has been the sports clubs, there is a great diversity of clubs available and all the clubs I have been involved with have been very friendly and welcoming. It is through the sports clubs that I have made some lifelong friends and had many memorable adventures. It has really made my time in UCD special.

No unfortunately not, but I haven’t really been looking or applying.

What is your ideal career?

I’m not sure to be honest, I still don’t really know what I want to do. At this point I’d like to take a year out and travel for a while, then come back to college (possibly to UCD, possibly to somewhere else) and do a PhD. After that I would consider pursuing a career in academics, but that’s a long way off yet!

Certainly I would hope that my degree will help me secure a PhD position, further than that though and I cannot say.

Richard Looby: Business and Law

What degree are you studying?

Business and Law

Did you find your degree stimulating?

I found the business modules were more stimulating in terms of creativity and using your imagination/new ideas.

I’ve loved every minute of the time I’ve spent in UCD, choosing UCD on my CAO was a great decision.

Not yet

What is your ideal career?

Law or maybe politics

In terms of getting a job in the legal industry, a B&L degree is highly regarded

David Winn: Psychology

What degree are you studying?

Psychology

Did you find your degree stimulating?

At times. Some modules were great with some really interesting topics – others a bit dull. Often there was an excessive amount of overlap between certain modules which meant quite a bit of repetition (and it was usually the stuff that was boring the first time around anyway!).

I realised I wasn’t really interested in working in the field of psychology so it became a bit frustrating for me as I couldn’t afford to drop out. In terms of studying in UCD, we were fortunate enough to have a small class size which was nice but I’d say it would have been extremely bleak if not.

No. Further study in a different field.

What is your ideal career?

Filmmaker.

Not at all!