Otherkin play upstairs at Whelans on November 11th

To keep your bank balance healthy, Rebecca Kelly gives you the lowdown on cheap gigs this November.

Swords – November 11th – The Workman’s Club

Alternative indie/rock Dublin three-piece Swords are set to headline the show on November 11th in The Workman’s Club to celebrate the launch of their new album, Tidal Waves. Entry is €12.50 and doors open at 8pm. Highly recommended for those who like indie music with a mixture of guitar, piano hooks, drums synths and samples, alongside the amazing vocals of Diane Anglim. This is not one to be missed.

OTHERKIN – November 11th – Upstairs at Whelan’s

If you’re into something a bit louder, OTHERKIN are also playing on the same night upstairs in Whelan’s. Tickets are a steal for only €13. Another Dublin-based band making waves, OTHERKIN are a four-piece group whose inspiration comes from The Clash, QOTSA, Ramones and Blur. They’ve got a punk sound and philosophy, having once stated that: “we want our records to be punchy, lean and blazing. Straight in, no kissing.” The band demonstrated their enthusiasm and stage-presence during the summer, while opening for the Red Hot Chilli Peppers in Belfast. Despite the obvious pressure they faced to make an impression, their energetic performance went down well with the crowd.

Dana Masters – November 17th The Sugar Club

Need some music for the soul? Dana Masters has got your back. Originally from the American Deep South, Dana grew up around blues, soul and gospel. A regular performer alongside Van Morrison, her vocals are to die for. She’ll be live at the Sugar Club on November 17th. Tickets are on sale now and are €15. Doors open at 7pm.

Lars Vincent & Band27th November – Upstairs at Whelan’s

Lars Vincent & Band play upstairs in Whelan’s for a relaxed Sunday night gig. A former member of the Irish Defence Forces where he spent 11 years as a soldier, Lars has a unique way of telling stories through music. A proud Mullingar man, he captures the essence of Irish life through his music, which is described as contemporary/modern Irish folk. Tickets are only €5 and doors are at 9pm. For that price, you may as well go along and give it a listen. Who knows? It could be your new favourite genre.