Aisling Kraus gives the lowdown on the highlights of the Dublin gig scene in the coming weeks.

[br]

Lucius / The Academy / Tuesday 5th April

American indie-pop five-piece Lucius was born out of the friendship of Berklee College of Music classmates Jess Wolfe and Holly Laessig, who began singing together while still at university. Picking up two guitarists and a drummer to fill out the lineup after moving in together in Brooklyn, the pair, sporting matching haircuts and matching onstage attire, took up the roles of frontwomen, sharing lead vocals. The results formed dreamy, folkish debut album Wildewoman, released in 2013 and not out of place next to the work of bands like The Paper Kites, and 2016’s polished, poppier follow-up, Good Grief. Extensive touring as headliners and as an opening act for rock god Jack White have garnered Lucius exuberant praise from audiences and critics alike for their dynamic, energetic live presence.

This is the Kit / Upstairs at Whelans / Friday 8th April

Based between Bristol and Paris, singer-songwriter and guitarist Kate Stables, records and performs thoughtful, acoustic music under the nom de musique This is the Kit. Having released three full-length LPs since 2008 and earning the support and praise of music journalists, critics, BBC DJs and most notably of Elbow frontman Guy Harvey, it’s a surprise to many that Stables has managed to remain relatively under the radar. This is the Kit’s star has been significantly on the rise, however, since 2015 saw the release of Bashed Out, her third and best-received album to date. Touring and performing frequently in various permutations between a duo and a quintet and as a support act for several acts including The National has given This is the Kit the experience necessary to put on a very special live show.

Wolfmother / Olympia Theatre / Friday 8th April

Led by frontman Andrew Stockdale, Wolfmother came blasting out of Sydney in 2006 with their explosive self-titled debut, heavily laden with noisy riffs, fuzzy distortion and vocals indebted to Led Zeppelin’s Robert Plant. A generous handful of TV, film and video game placements, intensive touring including many festival appearances and later, albums Cosmic Egg and New Crown gained the curly mop-headed group a moshing, head banging cult following, particularly in their native Austrialia. February 2016 brought the release of fourth LP Victorious.

Overhead, the Albatross / The Workmans Club / Saturday 9th April

Homegrown Irish instrumental fusion unit Overhead, the Albatross formed as an experiment between six musician friends. The epic products bring together rock with classical and pop elements, and have earned the band a number of large venue gigs, recently including a desirable support slot for Kodaline at the Marquee in Cork. The group’s debut album, recorded in the Czech Republic, is currently in post-production. The band return to Dublin’s much-loved Workmans for a “pay what you like” fundraiser to support their upcoming trip to play at Canada Music Festival.