Youth Lagoon frontman Trevor Powers' face is illuminated in a rainbow of colors as the artist deftly plays his electronic keyboard. (Michael Arellano/Emerald)

Kraus gives the lowdown on the highlights of the Dublin gig scene in the coming weeks.

[br]

Lanterns on the Lake / The Workmans Club / Saturday 30th January

English indie rock outfit Lanterns on the Lake create sounds as hazy and dream-like as the ethereal imagery evoked by their striking moniker. The standard guitar-based indie rock set-up takes on a refreshing tone with the addition of mellow strings and haunting vocals. Having formed in Newcastle in 2008, the band started out as a “DIY” effort, marrying eclectic instrumentation with “retro” recording methods to produce their first two homemade releases, and playing their first gigs in such unusual environs as a boat house and the highest-up pub in Britain. The group has since added more mainstream venues to their live performance resumé, having toured Europe and the U.S., receiving excellent reviews for their unconventional performance styles.

Ryan Sheridan / The Academy / Saturday 30th January

Homegrown Irish talent and Rubyworks labelmate of Hozier, Monaghan native Ryan Sheridan has built up his profile over the last few years with an extensive international tour schedule and an impressive string of high-profile support slots for artists as major as Taylor Swift, Bryan Adams and The Script. His gifts for songwriting and for percussive, energetic acoustic guitar-playing brought his second album, released in 2015, straight to number one on the Irish charts. Thanks to his experience of rocking arenas around the globe, Sheridan’s stage presence is a force to be reckoned with.

Youth Lagoon / Whelans / Saturday 6th February

In his creative ventures of personal expression, Idaho-born Trevor Powers swapped his given name for the more artistic Youth Lagoon in 2010. He set out to translate his feelings and ideas into melancholy low-fi sounds, blurring the lines between electronica and psychedelia. Three full-length studio albums later, he has chiselled out a sonic niche for his atmospheric, introspective material somewhere in the midst of acts as trailblazing as Pink Floyd and Beach House. Powers now takes his European tour in support of September 2015’s Savage Hills Ballroom to Whelans. Reviews of Youth Lagoon’s live performances drip with admiration for the artist’s uniqely bizarre charisma.

Mystery Jets / Whelans / Friday 12th February

Mystery Jets originally boasted the charming quirk of being a father-and-son band, having begun life as a family project when frontman Blaine Harrison was a tender twelve years of age. Drawing inspiration from an array of influences ranging from Syd Barrett to Jimi Hendrix, the band created and recorded their first demos in 2003. Thirteen years, five LPs and several personnel changes later, Mystery Jets have evolved their indie-rooted sound with each installment of their discography, moving from classic and psychedelic rock to progressive rock, to pop (heralded by a collaboration with Laura Marling on the track ‘Young Love’ from Twenty One) and 1980s-esque soft rock, while staying true to their distinctive sound and characteristic danceability.