Waitresses Beli, right, and Anika pose with beer mugs during the opening of the 181th Oktoberfest beer festival in Munich, southern Germany, Saturday, Sept. 20, 2014. The world's largest beer festival will be held from Sept. 20 to Oct. 5, 2014. (AP Photo/Matthias Schrader) ORG XMIT: MAS122

Ireland is a nation of eaters, drinkers and talkers. Strangely enough people have decided on several occasions that it would be a great idea to bring these three things together, to be enjoyed in one place. While you may have recently missed Dublin’s Coffee and Tea Festival and the West Cork Food Festival, all is not lost. There are many more to attend, and are dotted all around our small green isle.

Oktoberfest, 17th September- 4th October: While you may not find the same variety of beers on Docklands as you would in Munich, a taste of Germany is still on offer by means of Erdinger, German wines and of course German food. A note of advice would be to skip the hot dogs and chip vans and to get your hands on some soft German pretzels. A Germanic meal is served daily for €6. It’s free into the event but tables can be reserved for large groups.

Seafood in September, 18th-20th September: Seafood is to be found in abundance in Carrigaholt this September. Around the Loop Head Peninsula one can go on an evening fishing trip, attend an evening of shellfish and craft beer and fill their bellies on a guided food trail. There will also be an artisan food and craft fair on the final day of the festival.
Galway International Oyster and Seafood Festival, 25th-27th September: Oyster opening championships and a masked Mardi Gras might be quite a hefty price tag for the average beans-on-toast student, however the Saturday parade and Sunday food demonstrations are much friendlier to a budget.

Taste of Togher, 26th September: Now in its fourth year the Taste of Togher celebrates local produce with local culture. Hosted this year by the Glyde Inn in Annagassan, the festival will see demonstrations using local produce, musical entertainment and local food stalls. With a focus this year on sustainable living, the day will open with a discussion on food sustainability.

Ballina Food Fleadh, 27th-28th September: Following the success of last year, the Ballina Food Fleadh is back for a second time. Showcasing locally produced artisan food, cookery demonstrations, tasting sessions and farmers markets, this year features a celebrity cook off and a “River to plate” themed cook.
39th Kinsale Gourmet Festival, 9th-11th October: Featuring the Cork Heat of the All Ireland Chowder Cook Off, a foodie walking tour and a “Fruits de Mer Luncheon”, the Cork festival lives up to its name. 11 restaurants are taking part in its Gold Circle Club partaking in the festivities.

Savour Kilkenny Festival of Food, 22nd – 26th October: One of the biggest festivals in this list, with over 60 separate events occurring over the weekend, they are as wide in number as they are in content. Everything from Kitchen War stories, Beer and Food pairing contests, and a food photography competition, there is no culinary stone to be left unturned in Kilkenny.

Also featuring but as of yet without a published timetable are the Dingle Food Festival, 2nd-4th October and the Burren Food Fayre 25th October. Both have previously been highly successful and the same can be expected for this year.
More information on all Irish festivals can be found on www.discoverireland.ie and more information on Oktoberfest can be found at oktoberfest-dublin.de