Film: Top Ten - Movie Facial Hair

Left with the daunting task of compiling a list of the best facial hair in the history of cinema, Catherine Maguire braves the hairy beasts head on 10. Tom Selleck – Nothing worth mentioningYou know the guy I’m talking about, he played Monica’s older boyfriend Richard in Friends. You’ll know him by his killer ’tache. This is one of those incidents where the soup strainer precedes the grower.9. Clark Gable – Gone with the WindThis is possibly the most refined moustache that has ever graced the big screen – ideal for anyone who doesn’t give a damn.8. Daniel Day Lewis – There Will Be Blood[caption id="attachment_7962" align="alignright" width="211" caption="Daniel Day Lewis – There Will Be Blood"][/caption]Rugged. Thought-provoking. Oscar-winning. Oh, and there was some acting involved too.7. Joaquin Phoenix – I’m Still HereLike the bizarre love child of Johnny Cash and Zach Galifianakis, poor Joaquin developed a tragic case of crazy beard.6. Daniel Day Lewis – Gangs of New YorkDay Lewis scores again. Terrible film, awful accents: one cracking moustache.5. Harrison Ford – The FugitiveThis magnificent monochrome hairpiece has made its mark on Ford’s career. We reckon this must be one of Osama bin Laden’s favourite films.4. Chia Hui Liu – Kill Bill Vol. 2Anyone that has lived for a thousand years and can throw a beard over their shoulder deserves a reverential mention.3. Sir Ian McKellen – The Lord of the RingsGandalf the Grey is the embodiment of the old wizard, with his staff, lopsided hat and bushy beard. Following a fight with a Balrog, he gets out the GHD and some bleach and emerges as the sleek new Gandalf the White.2. Johnny Depp – Pirates of the CaribbeanJohnny Depp is the only actor that cannot even properly grow a beard and still look damn sexy while trying to. It is certainly a creative attempt at chin fur.1. Charlie Chaplin – The Great DictatorSo influential, Hitler nicked his look – straddling the razor thin line between comedy and fascism.