Film Review: The Sitter

Title: The SitterDirector: David Gordon GreenStarring: Jonah Hill, Sam Rockwell and Max Records.Release Date: 20th JanuaryThe Sitter tells the story of serial slacker and college drop-out Noah (JonahHill) as he babysits the Pedulla children – three troubled and troublesome kids.Noah, who is promised a night of sex with his girlfriend, if he can supply her withcocaine from crazy drug dealer Karl (Sam Rockwell), drags the kiddies alongfor the ride, encountering gangs, cops, drugs and violence all while teaching thekids about the importance of being themselves. It is a film full of ‘shart’ jokes,exploding toilets, party crashing, auto-theft and various other obvious but idioticattempts at humour, making it, from start to finish, a cinematic train wreck.Considering that director David Gordon Green (the man behind PineappleExpress and hit comedy show Eastbound & Down) is teamed with usuallyreliable funny man, Jonah Hill (Superbad and Get Him to the Greek) expectationsfor The Sitter were reasonably high. But one only has to recall the painfully stupidand unfunny Your Highness to remember that Green is a director who has a habit ofspectacularly missing the comedic mark. Sadly this film, like Your Highness, fails tocombine the better aspects of both Green and Hill, delivering a film that’s rife withmissed opportunities. The Sitter is a very familiar, crude and silly re-telling of theclassic films Adventures in Babysitting and Uncle Buck. Those references beingthe best compliment the film can hope to get. While Adventures in Babysittingwas innovative, enjoyable and intelligent, The Sitter acts as the rude re-boot,walking the strange line between completely immature content and scenes ofan adult nature. It is therefore a film that doesn’t really have or know its targetaudience. It is too silly for comedy fans to really enjoy and too mature for childrento embrace. Chief blame for this film lies with the writers, Brian Gatewood andAlessandro Tanaka, whose script is more like a Hollywood pitch or a first draft asopposed to any kind of acceptable final script.The sole decent thing to emerge from this film is the child actors who do supplysome touching moments (noticeably with Where the Wild Things Are actorMax Records) and occasionally some light and humorous laughs from KevinHernandez. They certainly have bright futures if they were able to survive thisboring and confused comedy.In a Nutshell: A predictable, unfunny and awful film that bores rather thanentertains. Avoid it if you value 81 minutes of your time.