Album: Person A
Artist: Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros

Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros are back with the follow-up the their 2013 self-titled third album. Fans will, for the most part, not be disappointed with Person A, which is a progressive continuation from where the band left off in 2013. Most well known for their hit single ‘Home’, from their debut album Up From Below, the new album shows glimpses of the style they’ve become known for, while still being a very natural progression from the last album.

The first single from Person A is ‘Free Stuff’, an eerie, atmospheric ballad with the signature lyrics and style that will be instantly recognisable to long-time followers of the band. ‘No Love Like Yours’, the second single, is a more upbeat and typical Edward Sharpe number with a punchy chorus and a flowing melody which will pull in. The album moves with the usual ebb and flow which one would expect from an Edward Sharpe album, however it lacks the hard hitting tracks to make the album memorable, which were prominent on other albums, such as with ‘Home’ and ‘Janglin’ from the debut, or ‘Man on Fire’ from Here. It is for this reason that the album seems to lack the cutting edge which its predecessors gathered such strong followings for.

Person A is a welcome return for Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros, but it is not without its flaws. It lacks the substance that previous albums boasted that made their other works truly great listens. By no means a bad album, Person A is a fun and often enjoyable collection of songs – just don’t expect something quite as strong as their earlier material.

In a nutshell: A welcome return for the eccentric Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros – it mixes easy listening with glimpses of greatness. Unfortunately it lacks the big tracks that drew fans into earlier albums, and hasn’t quite managed to live up to the hype.