Photo Credit: Joanna O’Malley

[br]

As part of the celebration of their 90th session, Friday night saw UCD dramsoc launch their first ever publication; The UCD dramsoc Anthology: Plays Volume I. The book consists of four plays, all written and performed by alumni of dramsoc during their time in UCD.

Auditor Seán MacDhonnagáin said that there were several factors in determining which plays to include, with the first stipulation being plays from the last fifteen years. He explained that “the biggest issue for us was our own archives”, and that while there have been many pieces of original work performed in dramsoc over the past eighty nine sessions, not all are readily available.

There was also a conscious effort to choose plays from people who had left dramsoc. MacDhonnagáin said that “We made an attempt to choose people who are still working in theatre, who could do more”. One of the writers, Gillian Greer, has her play “Petals” nominated for an Irish Times theatre award while another Stephen Jones, has had his most recent play “From Eden” performed in Theatre Upstairs, Bewley’s Café Theatre, Electric Picnic and at the Imagine Arts festival. Caitríona Daly’s play “Sluts” is to be performed by We Get High Collective as part of Test Dummy in Theatre Upstairs, premiering in November.

MacDhonnagáin added that the decision to include “Volume I” in the title was to leave the door open to inspire future dramsoc committees to produce many more volumes of original dramsoc work, although volume II is not planned for this session. He also hopes that current dramsoc members will be encouraged to delve into the dramsoc archives and perform past original works as well as continuing to produce their own.

There is some hope that this year’s 24 Hour Musical will be an archival piece, although nothing is confirmed as of yet. There are also hopes to continue the celebration of the 90th session with an alumni event in April, after dramsoc’s hosting of the annual Irish Student Drama Awards in March.