Debating success as UCD teams reach European Championship finals

UCD’s debating teams kicked off the 2015/2016 academic year in style as they reached the finals and semi-finals of the European University Debating Championships in Vienna last week.

Four teams from the L&H society and Lawsoc competed at the Championships, with Lawsoc’s team of Paul O’Dwyer and Aodhán Peelo making it to the final before losing out to Scottish team St Andrews.

212 teams from 119 universities took part in the prestigious competition, whose Chief Adjudicator was former L&H auditor Christine Simpson. UCD also sent five judges to the competition.

Oxford and Cambridge were just two of the university teams overtaken by UCD on their path to the semi-finals. The four UCD teams were LawSoc A (Paul O’Dwyer and Aodhán Peelo), LawSoc B (Kevin Roche and Isabel Cooke), L&H A (Eoin MacLachlan and Clíodhna Ní Chéileachair) and L&H B (Carl Whelan and Niamh Harford).

Lawsoc auditor James Green says, “Everyone worked really hard and and it was a fantastic team effort from all on the delegation. It was great to see UCD and and the law society back on top in debating.  A particular thanks must go to Richard Butler the societies officer who’s support was invaluable.”

L&H auditor Conor Rock says, “The success from EUDC is brilliant for UCD debating and has really started the year on a high, it’s a testament to Susan Connolly, our debates coach and the debating training program that has been put in place by her and Richard Butler, the societies officer. Of course, huge congrats to the teams and judges for their success and hard work they’ve put in over their summer holidays.”

The next big competition for UCD debaters will be the UCD IV hosted by the L&H in October.