Christmas dessert: Pâte à choux et Crême patissière au chocolatThis recipe is suitable for the upcoming festive season. This French pastry will be a hit at your Christmas party. There’s something about this dessert that fits perfectly with the party spirit, whether it’s the bite-sized portion or the oozing ‘crème au chocolat’, who’s to say!The ingredients for 'pâte à choux' (pastry):Method:
- In a pot, put in butter, water and a pinch of salt. When it boils, take it off heat and add the flour. Stir well, put it back on the heat to dry out the mix. Make sure there is no mixture on the sides of the pot. Next, take it off the heat and add eggs one by one, mixing every time with a wooden spoon.
- Heat the oven at 180°C.
- Put small heaping’s of dough on a tray.
The ingredients for the Crême patissière au chocolat (chocolate cream):
- Bake for 20 minutes, until golden. They will puff up, but be careful not to open the oven in the first 20 minutes, or they will deflate.
- 60g of baking chocolate (or other flavouring of choice)
- Heat milk and chocolate in a pot.
- In a bowl, mix the eggs and sugar. Then add the flour and mix. When the milk reaches boiling, pour it carefully on the eggs while stirring. Put in all contents in the pot and heat gently, stirring constantly. It will thicken after a few minutes. Do not put it in when it’s too hot or the egg yolks will cook and make a clump.
- When the consistency thickens, take off the heat and wait for it to cool down.
Pro tip: This recipe is not only for sweets, you can make the same and add cheese on top, this is called gougères in France and it's good as an appetizer.
- You can then open the choux pastries and fill them with the cream.