Campus Sports round-up: UCD RFC see off Trinity at the Bowl

Elsewhere, UCD AFC have been all but relegated from the League of Ireland Premier Division following their defeat away to Cork City on Friday evening

UCD Bowl

UCD RFC have secured the first win of their AIL campaign thanks to a 30-19 win over Dublin University on Saturday afternoon.

Tries from Jonny Guy, Andy Marks (x2) and Tom Treacy secured victory for the Belfield side, who were behind on two occasions during the contest against their Dublin rivals.

However, luck was not on the side of UCD AFC as they fell to a 3-2 defeat away to Cork City at Turners Cross on Friday evening.

Goals from Dara Keane and Jack Keaney could not prevent Maciej Tarnogrodzki’s side from falling to defeat as Liam Kerrigan was given his marching orders in the 84th minute.

The result leaves UCD AFC needing a 17 goal and six point swing to keep their place in the top-flight for an extra week – with a playoff clash against either Cabinteely or Drogheda United appearing highly unlikely.

Despite that, they got their CUFL Premier Division campaign up and running with a fine win on Tuesday afternoon, with a 7-0 win over DCU.

Jason McClelland, Yoyo Mahdy, Paul Doyle and Richie O’Farrell all fired for Diarmuid McNally’s side – who easily swept aside the challenge of Johnny McDonnell’s DCU.

UCD Women’s Soccer Club also won their opening game of the season with a 5-4 win over IT Sligo at Devlin Park.  

Elsewhere, Maire Claffey from the UCD Cycling Club finished the season as the top ranked female rider in Ireland.

She has accumulated more points than any other rider in Irish races and has two top-ten finishes in Ras na mBan to her name, which is the only internationally ranked race in Ireland. 

Meanwhile, UCD Sub Aqua club have just returned from their recent international competition in Parma, Italy.

Finishing 12th out of 20 participants, the club can be buoyed by their performances. To the unaware, underwater hockey is a fun, fast and exhilarating team sport played with short sticks and a puck at the bottom of the pool.

The UCD Sub-Aqua Club have their own dedicated team called the UCD Krakens.

Training takes place on Friday nights 21:00 – 22:30 in the UCD pool during term hours. They meet at the poolside reception at 20:45 before heading in.

Should you want any more information, you can get in touch with the club via their email address or social media channels.