Write with us.

Join UCD's award-winning student newspaper.

Join the Team

Are you interested in getting involved in the world of student journalism? The University Observer is seeking section editors for Volume XXV.

To apply, please contact editor@universityobserver.ie with a short cover letter outlining reasons for applying and relevant experience and what you hope to do with the role, as well as a minimum of two relevant writing samples (links to online content are acceptable) from the University Observer or other publications.

The subject line of your email should read ‘Application for the position of’ followed by the title of the position you are applying for. If you wish to apply for more than one section editor position, please state which positions you are applying for in the subject line of your email. Candidates who are applying for more than one position must also explain why they are applying for each position separately in their cover letter and provide a minimum of two relevant writing samples for each position. The number of writing samples submitted may not exceed a total of five. Prior involvement with the University Observer is preferred, but not essential. You must be a registered student of University College Dublin to apply.

In your application, please provide your name, course and year of study. For details of open positions, please see below.  

Broadsheet

Deputy/International News Editor

The Deputy and International News Editor will work with the News Editor in reporting, investigative journalism and news analysis content in the University Observer.  They will have particular responsibility for international stories and analysis. The ideal candidate will have experience writing news for a student publication, a good understanding of the reporting style of a broadsheet newspaper, and a desire to cover campus stories fairly and objectively. The news editors will work together to decide on content and edit material for each print issue. They will also work with the online editors to source content for the website. If you wish to be considered for this role as well as news editor, please state so in your cover letter. The Deputy and International News Editor will also liaise with students on Erasmus and exchange programmes to produce news coverage of education and student-based stories from their host university.

Business Editor

The Business Editor will be responsible for selecting and editing content in this one-page section of the newspaper. The ideal candidate will have a good understanding of business journalism and the jobs market, and will have previous writing experience.      

OTwo

Food and Drink Editor

The Food and Drink Editor will be responsible for selecting and editing all content in the food and drink section of oTwo. The ideal candidate will have previous writing experience, and will have a good understanding of and interest in food journalism.  

Fashion and Style Editor

The Fashion and Style Editor will be responsible for selecting and editing all fashion content in oTwo, including features, product reviews, and fashion shoots. The ideal candidate will be an experienced writer with a strong interest in the latest trends in the fashion industry and an enthusiasm for working with designers, brands, models and photographers to arrange shoots and spreads for their section.    

Photography, Video, Art & Design

Have an idea for a photo, video or illustrative project you’d like to create? Sign up here to join our Art & Design Team. See below for open positions.  

Deputy Chief of Illustrations

The Deputy Chief of Illustrations will work with the Chief of Illustrations and the Design Editor to generate high-quality illustrational content for print and online publication. The ideal candidate will have a demonstrable interest in and ability to produce illustrational content. Please send a selection of your photos along with a cover letter to editor@universityobserver.ie.  

Deputy Videographer

The Deputy Videographer will work with the Chief Videographer to produce regular short, news or features-style video content for the University Observer’s website and social media platforms. The candidate will be expected to cover events such as student rallies or protests, SU elections and other notable events throughout the year, including societies’ events and Freshers’ Week. This video content may also cover stories relating to individual sections of the University Observer and OTwo including, among others, Arts & Literature, Games, News, Features, Sport, Science and Fashion.  

Online

News Online

The online News Editor will be responsible for working with the two broadsheet news editors in order to keep the website current with the latest campus news. They will both handle the print stories on the website, as well as assigning extra articles written specifically for online. They will be responsible for distributing content and editing it to appear on the website. The ideal candidates will have previous writing or editing experience for a student publication and a good knowledge of the various writing styles used in the University Observer, preferably in the area of news.  

Comment and Features Online

The online Comment and Features Editor will be responsible for working with Comment and Features editors to ensure that the website is kept updated with articles from print, as well as assigning extra articles written specifically for online. They will be responsible for distributing content and editing it to appear on the website. The ideal candidates will have previous writing or editing experience for a student publication and a good knowledge of the various writing styles used in the University Observer.    

Columns

Columnists are responsible for producing articles offering commentary and opinion and will be required to produce one column a week on anything they like. The preferred candidate will have a creative mind and an ability to adhere to deadlines as well as having previous writing experience. Columns may be published under a pseudonym or a series title and may be delivered in a range of different individual styles.  

Write with us.

Want to get involved as a contributing writer? Click here to sign up for regular opportunities.  

Questions?

If you have any questions regarding any aspect of the application process, please feel free to email: editor@universityobserver.ie or message our Facebook page. Best of Luck!